Fundraising is trending better than last year and all that remains is the final 10 percent. But, it’s the final 10 percent that’s usually the hardest amount to raise.
“The last 10 percent is the toughest and we’re pushing really hard to raise it,” said Caroline Wright, communications coordinator for the UWGK.
The United Way’s annual fundraising campaign runs from mid-August through late November, starting off with the pacesetter campaign, then on with the public campaign. Pacesetters are companies and organizations that run workplace campaigns prior to the kickoff of the public campaign.
At a campaign kickoff back in September, United Way announced that the 17 pacesetters had raised more than $2.2 million – or 64 percent of the annual goal. That left the remaining 36 percent up to the greater Kingsport community to raise.
“We’re very optimistic about reaching our goal and we’re on track to meet it,” Wright said.
The United Way will hold a community celebration on Nov. 29 to announce how much money was raised, essentially wrapping up the public campaign. Pledges and donations will be accepted through the end of the year and still count towards the current campaign.
“We have all heard the phrase — start strong, finish stronger - and that is our plan. With a generous giving community like ours, we know we can’t lose,” said Michelle Bacon, Manager, Eastman Site Contractor Training & Medical Center and United Way of Greater Kingsport’s 2019 Campaign Chair. “Let’s encourage each other to remember that we give to achieve the greater good.”
The UWGK supports 43 programs through 31 agencies, such as the Boys Scouts of America, the Boys and Girls Club, Girls Inc., Hope House, the Literacy Council and Meals on Wheels. Programs supported fall in four focus areas: helping children and youth succeed, promoting self-sufficiency, ensuring safety and stability and supporting aging with choices.
Through these agencies and initiatives, the UWGK improves the lives of more than 1,400 locals every day, by tackling early grade literacy, breaking the cycle of poverty, confronting access to effective healthcare, supporting the needs of our senior citizens, and battling the opioid addiction in our region.
Contributions can be made by mailing a check to UWGK, 301 Louis Street, Suite 201, Kingsport, TN 37660. Easy to give online options are also available at www.uwaykpt.org/give. For more information call (423) 378-3409, ext. 14.