Justin Robert Feagins, 27, Midway, is accused in the Sept. 25, 2018 shooting of Cody Bridgewater outside the Comfort Inn.
Police said the motive was robbery.
The Hawkins County grand jury indicted Feagins on charges including attempted second-degree murder, attempted especially aggravated robbery, possession of a weapon during the commission of a dangerous felony, and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.
The attempted murder and robbery charges are both Class B felonies punishable by 8-12 years.
Bridgewater, and Feagins reportedly met for the first time the day before the shooting, but they had mutual friends and acquaintances.
Feagins and Bridgewater reportedly spent Sept. 24 together with a female, and at some point they went to Knoxville, where Bridgewater sold two LeCoultre watches for $375.
Around 1:32 a.m. on the morning of Sept. 25, they pulled into the Rogersville Comfort Inn parking lot, and all three fell asleep in Bridgewater’s vehicle.
Bridgewater reportedly stated that he was awakened around 7:52 a.m. by Feagins attempting to rob him. Feagins allegedly demanded his cash, and Bridgewater stated that when he refused to hand it over, Feagins pulled out a pistol and shot him in the abdomen.
Video surveillance revealed that the alleged shooter was Feagins, who is well-known to police and has a lengthy criminal record.
Following the incident, Feagins fled in a spray-painted green Chevy Sonic that had been reported stolen in Rogersville on Sept. 15. The value of the Sonic was reported at $7,000.
Bridgewater was hospitalized for 10 days.
A tipster led Hawkins County and Rogersville police to a Stanley Valley residence where Feagins was taken into custody after 16 days on the run.
He is being held in the Hawkins County Jail on $200,000 bond, and is scheduled for arraignment in Hawkins County Criminal Court on April 26.
Other indictments handed down Monday by the grand jury include:
* Adam Matthew Rollins, 35, 131 Lynch Road, Church Hill, for two counts of burglary, two counts of theft over $2,500, and vandalism under $1,000.
* Jennifer Juanita Laux, 50, 628 Shephards Chapel Road, Rogersville, possession of Oxymorphone with intent to deliver, possession of Oxydocone with intent to deliver, and maintaining a dwelling where drugs are used or sold.
* Kenneth Eugene Hensley, 54, West Columbia, S.C., possession of Oxymorphone with intent to deliver.
* Bobby Ray Caudill, 57, 628 Shephards Chapel Road, Rogersville, possession of Oxymorphone with intent to deliver, possession of Oxydocone with intent to deliver, and maintaining a dwelling where drugs are used or sold.
* Aaron Anthony Lee, 26, 2013 Brown Drive, Rogersville, aggravated assault, aggravated burglary, evading arrest, and criminal trespass.
* Crystal Elaine McMillan, 38, 303 Farside Drive, Rogersville, felony reckless endangerment, leaving the scene of an accident with injury, failure to report an accident, no seatbelt, no driver’s license, DUI, and violation of the implied consent law.