VDOT representatives Allan Sumpter and Jackie Christian discussed these and other road projects during the Scott County Board of Supervisors meeting on Wednesday.
Sumpter and Christian have been attending the meetings every quarter to provide updates and address questions or concerns from county leaders.
Some of VDOT’s current projects in Scott County include:
• Clearing debris from the December snowstorm, which Sumpter said left many downed trees and other debris in or around roadways
• Maintaining the gravel roads, though Sumpter said VDOT is “a little bit behind what we would like to be” due to the cold weather
• Cutting trees as part of a rural/rustic road project on Copper Creek Road, which includes a two-mile stretch that leads to a new bridge that will be installed
• Continuing construction on Route 805 (Odell Valley Lane) in Nickelsville
VDOT has also recently completed some road projects, Christian said, including:
• Route 704 (Browders Chapel Road)
• Route 635 (Ivy Valley Road)
• Route 897 (Big Ridge Lane)
Though projects have continued during the winter months, Sumpter said, warmer weather will make some work, such as maintaining the gravel roads, easier.
“We’re just trying to deal with winter,” Sumpter said. “I guess it’s now about 40-some days until spring is actually here. We’ll be happy for that and try to move in some of our spring activities.”