logo


no avatar

KFD investigating death after Friday morning fire

STAFF • Dec 27, 2019 at 11:52 AM

KINGSPORT — A 67-year-old woman died Friday morning after being overcome by smoke in a mobile home fire, according to Barry Brickey, public information officer for the Kingsport Fire Department.

At 8:34 a.m., the KFD received a report of a medical emergency and a possible fire in the 300 block of Snapps Ferry Road.

When emergency personnel arrived, the fire was no longer burning, and they found the deceased occupant inside the trailer, city fire officials said.

The family dog also died as a result of the fire.

The Kingsport Fire Marshal’s Office determined that the fire had been caused by smoking materials.

The KFD, Sullivan County EMS, and the Kingsport Police Department responded to the scene. No other information was available Friday.

Most fires, deaths, and injuries caused by smoking materials occur at home, and smoking materials are the leading cause of fire deaths, according to the National Fire Protection Association.

The association provides these tips for smoking safety:

— If you smoke, do so outside. Most deaths result from fires that started in living rooms, family rooms and dens, or in bedrooms.

— Keep cigarettes, lighters, matches, and other smoking materials up high out of the reach of children, in a locked cabinet.

— Use a deep, sturdy ashtray. Place it away from anything that can burn.

— Do not discard cigarettes in vegetation such as mulch, potted plants or landscaping, peat moss, dried grasses, leaves or other things that could ignite easily.

— Before you throw away butts and ashes, make sure they have been extinguished. Dousing them in water or sand is the best way to do that.