The Upcoming Events list is a public service of the Times-News and does not always run in its entirety. To submit an event, email the Sports Department at email@example.com, fax listing information to (423) 392-1385 or contact the Sports Department after 6 p.m. at (423) 392-1323 or 1-800-251-0328, ext. 323. The list normally is published on Tuesdays. Submissions must be received at least one week prior to the event and include sport, dates, deadlines, location and contact information.
• INDIVIDUAL PITCHING LESSONS, for ages 9-14, are being offered by David Hoover, the former Dobyns-Bennett and Daniel Boone pitching coach. Call 578-3427 for details.
• FALL BASEBALL CLASSIC tournaments, for 18-under high school or select teams and hosted by Cleveland State Community College, will take place Sept. 23-24 and Oct. 14-15. Entry fee is $475 plus a dozen baseballs per tournament. Contact Aaron Bryant at (423) 473-2445 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• BOYS BASKETBALL CLINIC, hosted by Milligan students will be held Saturday, Sept. 16 at the V.O. Dobbins Community Center, 301 Louis St., Kingsport. Open to ages 6-16, the clinic will run from 9 a.m.-noon. Cost is $10 per person. Call (423) 224-2489 for more information.
• JUNIOR INDIAN Basketball Academy, for boys and girls ages in grades 2-5 and coached by Dobyns-Bennett staff and players, will be held from 6-7:30 p.m., Sept. 20, Sept. 27, Oct. 4 and Oct. 11 at TNT Sportsplex, 600 East Main St., Kingsport. Cost is $50. Visit the TNT Sportsplex Facebook page for a registration form.
• CHURCH HILL/MOUNT CARMEL/Surgoinsville Recreation Department will hold basketball registration in September. Age brackets are 5-6 coed, 7-9 girls, 7-9 boys, 10-12 girls and 10-12 boys. Register at Church Hill City Hall Monday-Friday, from 8 a.m.-5 p.m., or go online at churchhilltn.gov. The fee is $20 for city residents and $30 for non-city residents. A child must turn 5 before Sept. 30, 2017, and not turn 13 before that date. Bring a copy of the child’s birth certificate when registering. Call the Rec Department at (423) 357-7010 for more information.
• KINGSPORT PARKS AND RECREATION youth basketball registration is underway. Leagues are offered for boys ages 5-17 and girls ages 5-15. Participants must live inside Kingsport city limits or attend city schools or parents must own property within the city. Registration for children ages 5-12 runs through Oct. 16. Registration for children ages 13-17 runs through Oct. 30. Cost is $20 per child, which does not include a jersey fee. Register at the Civic Auditorium Athletic Office Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Call (423) 229-9459 or email email@example.com to learn more.
• CHURCH HILL TROUT RODEO, sponsored by VFW Post 9754, Buffalo Springs Fish Hatchery, CASVA Angus Farm and Food City, will take place on Saturday, Sept. 23 at Jaycees Park, 455 N. Central Ave., Church Hill. Running from 8:30-10 a.m., the Trout Rodeo is for children ages 4-16 and offers age divisions of 4-7, 8-11 and 12-16. Trophies will be awarded, and kids have a chance to win a new bicycle. Register your child either at Church Hill City Hall or at Jaycees Park before 8:15 a.m. the day of the event. Call the Recreation Department at (423) 357-7010 with further questions.
• GREENE COUNTY PARTNERSHIP’S 23rd Golf Shootout will be held Thursday, Sept. 21 at Link Hills Country Club in Greeneville. The four-person, captain’s choice tournament will have both scratch and handicap divisions. Entry fee is $600 per team or $150 per individual. Entry deadline is Sept. 18. For more information, call Joni Parker at (423) 638-4111 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• SULLINS ACADEMY Scholarship Golf Tournament will be held Friday, Sept. 22 at the Country Club of Bristol. Fees are $100 per player and $400 per team. Sponsorship opportunities are available. Register online at sullinsacademy.org/fundraisers.
• TRIBE BASKETBALL Golf Classic will be held Saturday, Sept. 23 at the Club at Ridgefields in Kingsport. The entry fee per team is $400, and sponsorship packages are available. Contact Dobyns-Bennett coach Chris Poore at (423) 747-7184 or email@example.com for more information or to reserve a spot.
• SALVATION ARMY’S FIRST Red Shield Golf Tournament will be held Saturday, Sept. 30 at Crockett Ridge Golf Course in Kingsport. The event begins with an 8 a.m. shotgun start. Pre-registration is required; entry fee is $400 for a four-person team or $100 per individual. Call (423) 292-5230
• 17TH DARRELL RICE KIWANIS Golf Tournament will be held Wednesday, Oct. 4 at Cattails at MeadowView in Kingsport. Registration for the captain’s choice (four-person team) event is at 11 a.m., lunch at 11:30 and a shotgun start at 1 p.m. Entry fee is $100 per person. Sponsorships are available. Call Lee Cornell at (423) 230-0530.
• TUSCULUM HOMECOMING Golf Tournament will be held Friday, Oct. 20 at Link Hills Country Club in Greeneville. The four-person, captain’s choice event will begin with a shotgun start at 1 p.m. The cost is $100 per player; Tusculum alumni receive a $25 discount). Sponsorships are available. Contact Blake Cantrell, director of athletic development, at (423) 636-7331 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• BAYS MOUNTAIN TRAIL RACE, a 15-mile trail race and part of the Skelton Law Racing Series, will be held on Saturday, Sept. 23, starting at 8 a.m. Contact Mark Skelton at (423) 272-4812 or email@example.com.
• TRI-CITIES ST. JUDE WALK/RUN to End Childhood Cancer will be held Saturday, Sept. 23 at the Pinnacle in Bristol, Tenn. Registration for the event is $10 for the walk (adults and children age 6 or older) and $20 for the timed 5K run. The run will begin at 8 a.m. and the walk at 8:30 a.m. For more information or to make a donation, volunteer or register, go online at stjude.org/walkrun.
• EIGHTH BLUEGRASS Half-Marathon will be held Sept. 24 at Founders Park in Johnson City beginning at 7:30 a.m. Entry fee is $55 prior to Sept. 22 and $60 after. Entry fee for two-person relay teams is $40 per runner; four-person teams pay $30 per runner. Online registration forms may be downloaded from thegoosechase.org/Bluegrass-half-Marathon-relays. There will also be a Last Mile Kids Run with a $10 entry fee.
• THIRD #ALLFORHALEY 5K Run/Walk will take place Saturday, Sept. 30 at Sugar Hollow Park in Bristol, Va., beginning at 8 a.m. Proceeds from the race go to CURE (Citizens United for Research in Epilepsy) in memory of Haley Neal. Go online at cureep.convio.net/goto/haley for more information or to register.
• 18TH STICK BOY MAYVIEW MADNESS 5K Run/Walk, benefiting the Blue Ridge Conservancy, will be held Saturday, Sept. 30 in Blowing Rock, N.C. Fee for the 5K walk is $25 if registered by Sept. 27; day-of-race registration is $30. Fee for the 1-mile kids race is $15 before Sept. 27 or $20 the day of the event. To register, go online at register.chronotrack.com/r/32088. Day-of-race registration is at Blowing Rock Recreation Center, 145 Park Ave., Blowing Rock, N.C. 28605.
• HIGH KNOB HELLBENDER 10K, which serves as the 10K Mountain Road Championship for both the Virginia and Kentucky associations of USA Track & Field, will be held Oct. 7. The 6.2-mile race boasts more than a 2,000-foot elevation gain in its climb from downtown Norton to the High Knob summit. Go online at highknobhellbender.wordpress.com to learn more or to register.
• ASCENT AT MOUNTAIN AIR 5K will be held Saturday, Oct. 14 in Burnsville, N.C. Registration is limited to 200 runners. Learn more online at the Ascent at Mountain Air website.
• CROOKED RIVER HALF MARATHON, part of the Skelton Law Racing Series, will be held at 3 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 15 at The Lodge at Crooked River on AP Carter Highway in Virginia. Contact Mark Skelton at (423) 272-4812 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• CARSON-NEWMAN ONE-DAY Instruction Camp, for girls of all ages, will be held from 9 a.m.-noon on Saturday, Nov. 4 at the Vickee Kazee-Hollifield Softball Complex on the campus in Jefferson City. Check-in that day begins at 8:30 a.m. Cost is $45. Register online at cneagles.com/camps or contact Coach Kazee-Hollifield at email@example.com or assistant coach Michael Graves at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• GIRLS 18-UNDER SOFTBALL team is forming and all positions are needed. Call Bill Troutman at (423) 677-8944 for more information.
• KINGSPORT PIRANHAS Developmental Swim School for ages 4 and up is accepting registrations for one remaining fall session, Sept. 19-Oct. 24, at Dobyns-Bennett. Cost is $120. Register online at KingsportPiranhas.com. For more information, call Jorge Blasini at (423) 967-4264 or email email@example.com.
• EASTMAN RECREATION is organizing women’s and mixed volleyball leagues. Practice begins Sept. 18 and the season begins Oct. 16. There will be a managers meeting on Thursday, Oct. 5 at 5:30 p.m. in room B-310. Entry fee is $100 per team. For more information, call (423) 229-3771 or Jack Henry at (423) 384-1765.