Dad suffers minor smoke inhalation saving pets from trailer fire

Jeff Bobo • Apr 4, 2018 at 7:26 PM

ROGERSVILLE — A Hawkins County man suffered minor smoke inhalation Wednesday evening after he went back into a burning mobile home near Rogersville to save his family’s dog and cat.

Both parents, their two children and both pets escaped the burning residence safely, but the mobile home located at 120 Terrace View Drive east of Rogersville was gutted by fire.

Shortly before 5 p.m. Wednesday volunteer firefighters from Carters Valley, Striggersville and Stanley Valley were dispatched to the mobile home fire which apparently started on the stove while food was cooking.

When Hawkins County Emergency Management Agency director Gary Murrell arrived at the scene the husband and wife were laying on the ground outside the residence. Their names weren’t available.

Murrell said the father indicated that he'd gone back inside the house to save the dog and cat.

"The dog came out, and he put the cat out, and it went back in," Murrell said. "He said he put the cat out one of the windows, and then he went out the door, and when he came out the door the cat went back in through the window. They kept telling me the cat was inside. I looked up and here came something that looked like a small dog walking out, and it turned out to be a large cat.”

The father was treated at the scene by Hawkins County EMS, but refused transport to the hospital.

Murrell and HCSO Deputy Jesse Williams were the first on the scene. They weren’t unable to enter the front door due to heavy smoke, so they went around to the back door and used up their fire extinguishers.

"We didn't put it out, but we slowed it down until the first fire truck got there,” Murrell said. “We shut the doors and tried to keep it from getting air, but two of the windows had blown out and had holes in them.”

Murrell added, “It's 100 percent smoke and water damage. Probably 50 percent of it is burnt. But, it's a single wide mobile home, and when they get air in them (during a fire) they go, and the way the wind was blowing it went fast."

The American Red Cross responded to provide temporary lodging and other assistance tot he family.